August 21, 2010

A new reality

Well...I'm now the mother of a resident college student living 6-1/2 hours from home.  I don't think I like it.  I'm not sure which part was the hardest...pulling out of the drive or trying to while the girls ran to the swing for one last summer memory...or leaving her at college...or hearing her tearful voice on the phone and knowing that I'm so far away.  All in all, I don't think I like it. 
I'm praying for her to find her nitch and make some godly friends in her classes and dorm so she'll begin to feel like she's a part of a group.  I know she'll be fine but it's my job to fret about it and worry that she won't ask for help when she needs it or that she won't remember to do something on time.  That's what moms do...right? 
The parents' meeting was helpful by letting me know that I'm not the only mom who feels this way.  I guess the first 2-3 weeks are the worst for both family and student.  But the prayer support groups are awesome and I love the fact that so many people will be covering her with prayer every day.  The school offers loads of help to keep the students on track and make sure they succeed.  I thought it was kinda funny that one of their goals is to encourage guys and gals to find suitable spouses before they graduate.  I've heard lots of jokes about girls going to college to get their MRS. degree!  It's nice to have the security of a relationship in college.  Of course, that's just my opinion.  I'm sure there are those who would disagree with me.  Some pretty strong bonds can be made by spending time sharing mutual interests.  The potential is there for everyone to find the guy or girl of their dreams in college.  That's why it seems really silly for folks who have relationships to go their separate ways during those years.   Makes me think of the Eagles' song Girl from Yesterday. 
It will be interesting to hear what she learns about theology and the bible this semester.  She has some very interesting books on theology and doctrine that I can't wait to read when she's finished.  Should be the basis for some great conversations.  I know some folks think that taking classes that don't pertain to your major is a waste of time and that may be true of some courses but some of the classes she'll be taking this semester will further form her worldview.  Which will influence how she looks at all the choices she needs to make whether related to her future job or her future family.  That's why it's important for doctrinal issues to be clarified and sure to make a firm foundation.  But you can't build a firm foundation if all the stones aren't aligned.  And that foundation can't support a marriage if both builders aren't working from the same set of plans.
Anyway, it's going to be awesome for her and I can't wait to see what the Lord has in store for her.  Both in the theater and the MRS. department! I know He has them all planned out for her so I hope she makes wise choices so He can show her how to use her talents and gifts for His glory.
And exciting as all this sounds...I don't think I like it.  Give me a few weeks to get used to the idea.  God gave me the opportunity to homeschool her and nurture her.  There are things we didn't get to do but we have lots of good memories from those days and I feel confident that she has a good grip on her faith so I know she'll be fine and so will I but...I don't think I like it!

0 thoughts about my meanderings:

Popular Meanderings