April 6, 2010

The recycled greenhouse

Here's what we started with; left are the long hoops of recycled black well pipe fastened together with the recycled metal supports from the shed that collapsed under a heavy snow.  The photo on the right is our dog kennel/peep pen.







And here's what we ended up with;
 
The wire "ceiling" was added when we had growing peeps to keep raccoons out and fledgling hens from flying out of the pen. 

Scenes from the kitchen garden.



4 thoughts about my meanderings:

Sharon said...

Looks like my blogging skills need a little help. It didn't look like this when I was writing the post. :)

Unknown said...

WAY to go on the greenhouse:)
I always thought having one would be fun I look forward to seeing some fun stuff you grow.
Are you on my blog?
www.mollysworldofmuses.blogspot.com
Have a great day in your new house!

Zachariah English said...

What are the inside dimensions? One thing I also have done to help keep heat was/is to put bags of leaves around the edges inside the greenhouse. The bags act as an insulator. The walls of my greenhouse (on two sides) is plexy glass 1/2" thick 3'x6'. But other than that I have 3 or 4 mil. plastic covering. Looks good! By fall you should have everything figured out to keep the temp. more even and everything.

Sharon said...

Thanks, Molly. I'd like to follow your blog.

Zach-the "kenneloop" is 6'x 9-1/2' inside. The leaves are a good idea and may even generate their own heat as they decompose. Maybe I could add some fresh clippings to get things going. We had the township dump the leaves they gathered along the road last fall, in our yard and they have decomposed quite a bit.
Thanks! I hope I can figure it out in time.
I enjoyed your blog post today.
Now I need to start on my lasagne beds. I only have about 6 weeks until I can plant outside.
We have a variety of blueberries but it's been years since we planted them and I don't know the varieties.

Popular Meanderings