February 27, 2011

Sunday Morning Musings

It's still early...I'm notorious for being an early riser and I like to write while the house is quiet and still.  Sometimes my thoughts just need a place to spill over and fill the space with my random ponderings.  Not because I'm so very intellectual or anything...just because I'm so scatter-brained!

Today feels like a peaceful day with calm weather that still breaths cold winter air onto the frosty rooftops of the Appalachians.  Not sure I'm putting much faith in the wily looks of an innocent rodent surrounded by loud music, shouting crowds who've already been imbibing at 6AM, bright lights and TV cameras.  It's been nearly 4 weeks since his historic prognostication of an early spring.  Aside from a two day heatwave, one could scarcely tell the difference.  I think it may have been a pressured decision due to the fact that it was his 125th anniversary!

But I've no doubt that Lady Spring is, once again, slumbering peacefully at the base of this mighty mountain range somewhere in Virginia.  She'll soon come softly over the ridges toward the little valley where I live in search of a place to wile away the summer.  As the warming rains and gentle breezes slowly melt away the winter chill, I'm sitting here, once again, coffee in hand, perusing the seed catalogs over and over and making plans for things to come. 

We're looking forward to seeing our oldest daughter over spring break.  It will be nice to spend time with her and her friend who will be visiting for a few days.  I'm trying not to plan too many things for her time because so often there are folks to visit and things to do and before you know it, it's time for her to go.  My first impulse is to be selfish...I don't want to share her.  There are so many things to talk about and yet it seems we never find time to get around to taking care of the important things because we're just happy to be together.

As the days begin to warm a few degrees, the sugaring season has begun.  I'm looking forward to steamy days and nights spent 'round the evaporator just enjoying the time together, sampling the maple "tea"  as it slowly condenses into a lovely brown syrup.  It's always amazing to me that you can taste the sugar in the sap as it comes right from the tree.  Its also amazing that some folks prefer the high fructose corn syrup variety from the store to this wonderful, mineral rich, true maple syrup.  A whole food that I can harvest right in my own back yard.

Well, there are stirrings in the house and soon the whir of activity will descend on me so I guess it's time for my musings to end for today.  Or, more accurately, for me to stop recording my musings for now.

0 thoughts about my meanderings:

Popular Meanderings